Sunday, May 10, 2009



6599 N POSITANO WAY • TUCSON, AZ 85741
PHONE 520-297-7509 • E-MAIL LWALSH2009@HOTMAIL.COM
LILY WALSH

EDUCATION
2007 - 2009 Catalina Foothills High School Tucson, Az
GED

2008-present Pima Community College Tucson, Az

INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES

· I’ve been playing the violin for 13 years and have been in the Tucson Jr. Strings orchestra for nine years.
· I was in karate at the American Karate School for seven years.
· I have been playing tennis for four years at the Tucson Racquet Club.
· In my free time I like to do origami, go paint balling, go shooting, hiking, snowboarding, and sewing.

LANGUAGES

Spanish: Intermediate level of communication and I can read and write it
Chinese (Cantonese): Basic level of communication

WORK EXPERIENCE

2007 - present Foothills Kumon Center Tucson, Az
Assistant
Tutoring children, secretary work

2006-2009 Tucson Chinese School Tucson,Az
Cultural teacher
Teach an arts and crafts class




All of the work experience I’ve acquired has been with jobs that deal with children. Before I had these jobs I didn’t know how to associate with kids and usually just avoided dealing with them altogether. I used to think they were annoying so I just brushed them off. Through these jobs I’ve taken I forced myself to deal with children, which has increased my patience and tolerance for them.

I’m usually one on one with kids when I’m tutoring them for math or reading. Being one on one really helped because then I could just talk to the child and they would usually share weird stories about their day that only children would care about. At this point I usually don’t know what to say so would walk away, but since I am tutoring I can’t simply do that. I listened to what the other workers would say and started to learn how to talk to kids from their example. Knowing how to converse with children really helped my patience with them because then I could talk to them to learn the reasoning behind some things that they do. This also helped my tolerance because instead of just having boring silence I could have a conversation with them.

Teaching a class was probably the most difficult thing I’ve done. Even though the class was only an hour and it was for art took time because I had to plan out each week’s project and make sure I knew exactly how to make it. Once I’ve gotten over that and I actually get to class I have to be able to grab the attention of 12 students, most of who are in kindergarten. Just from the planning I learned patience because I needed to learn how to budget my time and take the patience to actually do what was expected of me. Disciplining and holding the attention of young children taught me a great deal of patience and different ways that children respond so they do what is asked. Before teaching this class I thought that just asking someone to do something was good enough because there was always a reason behind a request. I found that was not the case and that reasons needed to be come up with and trickery needed to be done for children to agree to quiet down or be calm down or do what you ask.

These work experiences have changed me because now when I’m at a family gathering or out at some Chinese school event I don’t mind dealing with the smaller children who are around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment